Installing the SSL Certificate in IIS 7
Once the certificate has been generated and sent to you follow the steps below to install in IIS 7.
- Copy the certificate received by email and paste it in a plain text editor such as Notepad , make sure you have 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white space, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
- It should look something like this;
- ----- BEGIN CERTIFICATE -----
----- END CERTIFICATE -----
- Save the certificate as a notepad file, with .txt extension,
- Now that the certificate is saved somewhere local, On the server for which the certificate will be installed on,
- Click Start, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Servives (IIS) Manager,
- From the left menu, click the corresponding server name,
- In the Features pane, under Security, double click Server Certificates,
- From the Actions pane, select Complete Certificate Request,
- Provide the location of the certificate file (the .txt file saved earlier) and the friendly name,
- A friendly name is a reference name for quick identification of the certificate for the Administrator.
Before proceeding you will need to add an IP address to the server that will be used exlusively for the site, you then need to add an HTTPS binding to the website before assigning the install certificate;
- To install the certificate you need IIS Manager open, available from Start, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager,
- Browse to your site name, found under Sites, Your SSL-based site,
- From the Actions pane, choose Bindings,
- In the Site Bindings window, choose Add,
- From the Add Site Bindings window, provide the binding type,
- Type - https
- IP Address - Select an exclusive IP for the site binding
- Port - 443
- SSL Certificate - Select the SSL certificate that will be used for the site,
- Click OK and then close.